|Is this what your outline looks like?|
|NOT where I write...|
There's a lot of bullshit communicated about successfully writing a novel. If you heed much of it you'll get paralyzed and never be able to finish your own work of fiction.
The truth is that writing a book isn't joining the Marines, it isn't Transcendental Meditation nor is it discovering cold fusion. It has more to do with cleaning your basement, building a bird house or creating a garden in your backyard.
In other words it involves some planning, some trial and error and quite a bit of time on task.
It doesn't require any of this crap:
* Large amounts of uninterrupted time in a beautiful oak paneled office.
I write before my day job in between hound bays and getting up every 7 minutes to act as the uniformed doorman for my three four legged VIPs.
* You must have a completely formed idea, outlined neatly with Roman numerals, bullet points and color coded categories.
Actually, you need an idea. Then another idea of where to go. Do that for 300 pages and you get a book.
* You can't start your book until you go on police ride-a-longs, volunteer on the local SWAT team or travel to Rome to interview the custodian at the Vatican for your story background.
This is fiction. You make this shit up. Read an article, go to Wikipedia and then start writing.
* You must write only when the muse comes to visit you.
Good luck with that. It's plain crap.
* You can't finish because you're blocked.
You're not a colon and you don't get blocked. You stop working. If what comes next to you isn't obvious then you have to problem solve, do some trial and error and rewrite.
Tom Schreck writes the Duffy Dombrowski Series and the stand alone thriller GETTING DUNN. TKO is the #1 boxing book on Amazon Kindle.