|Photo by tolea|
Bad things happen on Friday the 13th. Some people say this is the most widely held superstition in America today. People stay home from work and restaurants on Friday the 13th. They don't make any important decisions and some can probably be found tossing salt over their shoulders willy-nilly.
What are some other superstitions? I went on a hunt to track down a few.
- Getting out of bed left foot first is supposed to be bad luck. (I'm in trouble with this since I sleep on the left side of our bed.)
- Dropping an umbrella on the floor means someone will be murdered in the house.
- Here's an easy one: Never mend a garment while you are wearing it or misfortune will follow.
- Sneezing three times before breakfast is good luck.
- Sleeping on un-ironed sheets is also good luck. (This is not a problem in our house. I wonder if it counteracts the left foot thing?)
- A naked woman on a boat is supposed to bring good luck and calm the seas.
- Golfers can have a successful day on the course if they begin their round with odd numbered clubs and don't use balls with numbers higher than 4.
What about you? Do you have any superstitions? A lucky pair of socks? C'mon. It's just us.
****In the event there's something to the Friday the 13th thing, you can shop from home today. Red Tide is free, along with a lot of other books in a wide range of genres. In addition to my own, you'll see one of my other blogging buddies there: Tom Adair's Scent of Fear is also free. You can see them all at Kindle Freebies.